Posted in: ROH Ring of Honor TV Results 12/31/11
Dec 31, 2011 - 9:13:51 PM
Ring of Honor Wrestling 12/31/11
Special New Year Edition
- We open the show to just Kevin Kelly in the studio, explaining that the ROH wrestlers are taking time off to be with their families over the holidays, establishing that there is a break right after Final Battle. This episode will be a look back on the year that was.
- The first match to be recapped is the World Championship match between Davey Richards and Roderick Strong, broadcast in ROH’s third episode back on October 8.
Thoughts: I never wanted to revisit this match, and after a second viewing my opinion hasn’t changed.
- Commercial spot.
- The Inside ROH that centered on the build-up for that particular match airs.
Thoughts: There was no point in re-airing this video segment, given that their match was just shown. This spot should’ve been devoted to either advancing the new Richards/Steen plot or to the undercard.
- After the break, we are shown the final minutes of Roderick Strong vs. Kyle O’Reilly from the October 29 episode, as well as the Team Richards/House of Truth brawl afterwards.
- A commercial spot for Showdown in the Sun (only a live event, it seems).
- After the break, we are shown the tag team match between the American Wolves and the House of Truth from the November 12 episode. The show ends with Kevin Kelly promoting the next series of shows from the Carolinas.
Overall Thoughts: …Are you serious? Did they just pass off Davey Richards’s Greatest Hits as recapping the year? Did the company conveniently forget that it has two other title scenes, plus a guy who is coming to take the company hostage? I honestly don’t know who Davey is screwing or blowing backstage, but this needs to stop.
On a positive note, however, I’m glad to see the company give its stars a break, even though it’s most likely because they need time to tape their next set of shows; Lord knows they need one after Final Battle. The holidays used to be sacred, with the WWE doing exactly this kind of thing not that long ago.
The bottom line is, however: how do you manage to even screw up a recap show?