Posted in: Indy Review & Videos from Planet Wrestling in Loxley, Alabama 6/9/12
Jun 10, 2012 - 10:24:29 PM
Hard to believe but this was my first local (FL Panhandle/ Gulf Coast area) show that I attended thus far in 2012. I went to 2 shows in January & February and both those were in Orlando. So I haven't been to any wrestling since February and I was hungry.
This was my first visit to Planet Wrestling. Right away the building (Loxley Civic Center) and great lighting reminded me of a much bigger version of APW's original building in downtown Pensacola in front of the civic center. The bigger building is awesome and allows them to do more things with better organization. The crowd and atmosphere reminded me of a mix between the now defunct APW & Ultimate.
Now for the results.
1. Chief Ironclaw d. Maze via claw submission. After the match Bobby Doll, Wade Garrett, and Johnny Hollywood came out and belittled Maze and told him he was a disgrace for losing to Irongut. Maze turned good and joined forces with Ironclaw. Bobby said that he is bringing in two 6'9 monsters from the Texas area to take care of Irongut and his friends.
2. Marcus Gibbs d. Mike Freska via superkick and distraction help from TA Jones.
3. TA Jones d. Achy Breaky Kid via interference help from Marcus Gibbs.
4. Vision d. Fate by DQ after Fate attacked referee Tristan.
5. Brian Caige d. Nick Mason
6. "Simply Amazing" Curt Matthews w/ Johnny Hollywood d. Matt Harvard after Hollywood racked Harvard when the ref's back was turned allowing Matthews to get the easy pin.
7. Ron Horn vs The "Nigerian Nightmare" Akuma Okoye went to a double count out.
8. In a boxer vs wrestler match, "The Wiggins Ax Murderer" Wade Garrett w/ Bobby Doll & Johnny Hollywood d. Krash w/ Don Fargo after Doll threw powder into Krush's eyes allowing for Garrett to get the final KO.
For match of the night I will have to say Garrett vs Krush. Going into the show it was the least interest to me. The gimmick didn't really sell me. But after it was over I have to say that it was done really well which made for great entertainment. The best entertainment of the night therefor it gets MOTN.
The runner up match of the night is a tie between Ron Horn vs Nigerian Nightmare & Vision vs Fate. Most may not agree with my pick for the women's match but I saw something there that other people in my party saw as well. It was my first time seeing both women wrestlers but I could tell that these girls were trained and did a good job out there. It wasn't a perfect match, and there was at least 1 hiccup, but everything else was enough to get my attention and that means a lot when I'm reviewing something. Good job girls. Keep at it!
After the show was over my party discussed was this a great show or were we just hungry for wrestling. I think it was a combination of both. There were no 5 star matches or anything that stood out, minus the boxer vs wrestler gimmick. But they were all very quality matches. Two of the matches should have been cut and made into a tag match - Onyx vs Freska & Achy Breaky. But other than that everything was quality. Add to that the production value of the show. Very impressive. It is currently unmatched in our area right now. No surprise there coming from Bobby Doll and his past success. But lets not forget about the people Doll has surrounded himself with. The show was ran like a well oiled machine and everyone done their part. Bobby said he wanted to bring a quality show back to the gulf coast area and from what I saw last night he has done just that. I plan on going back to upcoming shows and hope they can maintain that same level.