LOP on Facebook LOP on Twitter LOP on Google Plus LOP on Youtube LOP's RSS Feed

Home | Headlines | News | Results | Columns | Radio | Forums | Contact



Posted in: My Two Centsss
My Two Centsss - Like it or not, There WON'T be a Shield Triple Threat at Battleground
By Super Chrisss
Jul 10, 2016 - 2:21:06 PM







Tom Jenner rocks!







This morning, as I’ve been doing every Wednesday morning whenever I have the day off work/school, I sat back and listened to my good buddy The Doc’s weekly podcast on LOPRadio. Anyone who has ever had the pleasure of listening to an old episode of “The Doc and Super Chrisss Show” knows that Chad and I don’t always see eye-to-eye on the world of pro wrestling. Today, however, there was no conflict: I 100% echo his sentiments that this month’s Battleground Pay-Per-View is NOT the time nor the place to book a triple threat match between WWE Champion Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns. This is not only a SummerSlam-caliber main-event, but also one worthy of ending a WrestleMania. To have the very first encounter between the three former Hounds of Justice take place at a filler PPV between Money in the Bank and SummerSlam seems a bit odd, doesn’t it?

That’s why – as you may have guessed just by clicking on this column’s title – I’m boldly predicting that Ambrose vs. Rollins vs. Reigns will NOT take place at Battleground.

“But hold on, Super C, the match has already been booked and WWE had the chance to remove Roman from the match following his suspension but they didn’t.” Yeah, I know that. But I also know that WWE is no stranger to altering or modifying a scheduled PPV match, especially at the Battleground PPV. If I may take a second to channel my inner Tito, here’s what I predicted about the very first Ambrose vs. Rollins match, set to take place at Battleground 2014:



”Has there been a more compelling feud in months than Ambrose vs. Rollins? Not to take anything away from the rest of the card (which has been booked surprisingly well considering it's, well, the midcard), but ever since The Shield imploded last month, Ambrose and Rollins have been tearing the house down without having any actual matches. You see, WWE does know how to book a feud without giving away the match on free TV a half-dozen times before and after a PPV - they just refuse to do it. I'm aware I've already said this multiple times throughout the column, but for Christ's Sake, I cannot believe they're not saving Ambrose vs. Rollins for SummerSlam. Then again, maybe they are.

Hear me out. Monday on Raw, Ambrose was unable to compete in the main-event because of the gang-attack from The Authority's henchmen at the start of the show. *SMACKDOWN SPOILER* Rollins comes out on this week's SmackDown and says he can't compete because he suffered an injury during Raw's main-event. *END SPOILER* What if, come Battleground on Sunday, while The Lunatic Fringe is waiting for his back-stabbing brother to face him in the ring, Mr. Money in the Bank says he's unable to compete because of the injury, which leads to: A) Ambrose being beat down by Kane, Orton, and Rollins, therefore unable to compete, or B) Rollins/Triple H selects a new opponent for Ambrose (maybe a returning Mark Henry?) Either scenario would prolong the feud until at least SummerSlam without giving away Ambrose vs. Rollins just yet. Sure, the live crowd wouldn't be very happy, but remember - card subject to change!

Winner: N/A (match doesn't happen).”



Many people thought I was insane for thinking that WWE would spend weeks promoting a major match between Ambrose and Rollins only to pull out at the very last second. Yet, that’s exactly what happened. Two years ago, the Battleground card was stacked with plenty of fresh/dream match-ups, so they could afford holding off on an actual match between the former Shield guys. This year’s card, although yet to be finalized, looks promising enough with The New Day vs. Wyatt Family, The Club vs. Cena, Enzo & Cass and probably Sasha vs. Charlotte, among others. Would anyone be really disappointed if WWE took Reigns out of the championship match at the very last-minute and we just got a one-on-one between Ambrose and Rollins? I doubt it.

Another recurring theme with Battleground is their poorly-booked main-events. The very first edition in 2013 saw The Big Show run-down and KO punch both Daniel Bryan and Randy Orton, resulting in an unannounced, presumed double-DQ. One year later, in 2014, John Cena won a very boring and predictable Fatal-4-Way match to retain his WWE Championship. Last year, The Undertaker interrupted the ending of Brock Lesnar vs. Seth Rollins (their first one-on-one match, by the way) to set up the main-event of the following month’s SummerSlam. As you can see, the Battleground PPV is no stranger to controversy.

In my opinion, taking Reigns out of the Battleground main-event and delaying The Shield triple threat is what’s best for business. Reigns doesn’t even deserve to be in the match, quite frankly. He’s an idiot who decided to take something illegal when the company was counting on him to carry to the company on his shoulders. With a brand split on the horizon, he couldn’t have chosen a worse time to fail a Wellness Test, except maybe WrestleMania time. He let down a company who supported him relentlessly, even though he was getting booed out of nearly every arena he stepped into since The Royal Rumble. Even though TV ratings and tours he headlined wee doing abysmal numbers, WWE stuck with him through the thick of it. And his way of thanking them was to take something he shouldn’t have. Way to go, champ.

There’s the optimist in me who’s hoping that the decision to put the belt on Dean Ambrose, start pushing Sasha Banks again, and even (maybe?) giving Zack Ryder more TV time are all signs that WWE is finally starting to listen to their audience again. They tried pushing who THEY wanted to push and it blew up in their faces. Instead, people who the fans genuinely like are starting to receive TV time and opportunities. While the creative department still sucks, at least the cast members are more interesting and worth engaging in.

Getting back to Reigns, why SHOULD he be gifted a main-event championship match on PPV his very first night back? He undoubtedly screwed up a lot of creative plans for the next few weeks and many script re-writes have been necessary. Furthermore, Ambrose had to pull double-duty last week and the week before to fill-in for the shows that Reigns was booked for. While WWE is partly at fault for not building up more names worthy of headlining separate live events, 2016 has been a terrible year for injuries, and even Cena doesn’t seem to work house shows anymore. When Reigns was pulled from his live events, WWE didn’t have Cena, Orton or Bray Wyatt to replace him with. Reigns screwed up big-time and he doesn’t deserve to receive that Battleground paycheque.

Reigns-bashing aside, it’s the perfect excuse for WWE to prolong The Shield triple threat. They may be advertising Ambrose vs. Rollins vs. Reigns at Battleground – even having Rollins bury Reigns on the mic – but I smell a rat. Don’t be surprised if Reigns doesn’t show up at Battleground or is jumped backstage by his SummerSlam opponent, later revealed to be Brock Lesnar? I’m not sure how they’ll go about it, but I’m feeling confident that we’re getting Ambrose vs. Rollins one-on-one at Battleground, and I’m perfectly okay with that. Also, before you label me as insane, keep in mind that was I one of the only people who successfully predicted a Zack Ryder Intercontinental Title win at WrestleMania.


Just to be clear, I’m as excited for a Shield triple threat as the next guy. I simply don’t think Battleground is the right time. The WWE Universe will still be buzzing from the draft which takes place on the final SmackDown BEFORE Battleground. Also, Reigns not being around for the build-up makes it feel a bit empty. I’d rather they take the 2014 and tease the fans into thinking they’re getting a Shield triple threat later this month, only to pull the rug out on them at the very last second. Will it suck for everyone in attendance? Sure, but like I said – Ambrose vs. Rollins isn’t a bad consolation prize at all.

Save The Shield triple threat for where it belongs – SummerSlam or WrestleMania!




*****





YOUR Two Centsss: Would you be disappointed if Ambrose vs. Reigns vs. Rollins doesn't take place at Battleground?


- Email: captain_charisma16@hotmail.com

- Facebook: Search for "Super C" and LIKE the page

- Twitter: @ChrisssLOP


Are you a gamer? Then add me!


-PSN: Good_Guy_Chris
-XboX Live: Dogg Ziggler


Thanks for reading!

  • My Two Centsss - Previewing the Royal Rumbles: Best & Worst Case Scenarios, Dark Horses & Heavy Favourites

  • My Two Centsss - WWE and the Music Industry have A Lot in Common, for Better or for Worse

  • My Two Centsss - 2017 EOY Mega-Column: The Seven Best WWE Matches, Wrestlers + Tag Teams of the Year PLUS Seven Bold 2018 Predictions

  • My Two Centsss - These Are The Seven Best NXT Matches + NXT Stars of 2017

  • My Two Centsss - Seven Vince McMahon Decisions in 2017 that Indicate it's Time for The Chairman to Step Down

  • My Two Centsss - These are the Seven Best Segments of 2017 (+ Clash of Champions Predictions)

  • My Two Centsss - Seven WWE Stars Who are Better Off on the Main Roster Than They Were in NXT

  • My Two Centsss - A TakeOver: War Games Analysis & How WWE Transformed Survivor Series 2017 Into A Mini-WrestleMania

  • My Two Centsss - Is Social Media Doing More Harm Than Good For The Pro Wrestling Business (And Its Employees)?

  • My Two Centsss - Why Asuka vs. Emma Can, Will and SHOULD NOT Be A Squash + Will An Epidemic Shake-Up the TLC Card?